Monday, December 15, 2008

Matthew 10:16

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

I've been contemplating this passage of scripture a lot lately. I find I am much more jaded than I wish I were. Some translations use the word "shrewd" to describe the serpent, and "innocent" to describe the doves. How, exactly, does one maintain innocence and harmlessness in a world that seems to assault at every turn? I see in my friends an openness and warmth that I have lost somewhere along the way. In the name of protecting myself, I've become cold and emotionless. I don't wish to be that way. I don't want to wear my feelings on my sleeve, but I don't want to appear uncaring to others, either. I am seeking to find the appropriate balance.

Galatians 5: 22-23 says "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

How does being shrewd align with gentleness and meekness?

Titus 3: 2 shows me that this gentleness and meekness are necessary to my witness of our Lord and Savior: "To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. "

James 3:17-18 "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."

I pray the God would cultivate in me a meek, gentle, and humble spirit, so that I may bring honor to Him in my words and deeds.

No comments: