Monday, May 4, 2009

The Chicken Coop

This is our chicken coop. It's a remodeled rabbit hutch. It's approximately 4' wide, which allows plenty of roost space for my flock of 14 semi-mature chickens, since I have two rungs for them. One of my many summer projects will be to give it a good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint. I'd also like to put a tin roof on it.

Here is a front view with the lid up. This allows for easy access for cleaning and taking care of the chickens.

Here is a side view with the lid up. We added another wall instead of wire to help block the westerly winds.

This is looking down into the coop. We used broom handles because they were cheaper than wooden dowels. One was free! It was in the barn when we moved here, and the straw was all rotted off it. I would have preferred to harvest some green tree limbs, strip the bark, and allow the chickens to roost on them. I think it would be healthier for their feet, but the small size of this coop requires the uniformity of the broom handles.

This is another side view to show that the entire thing (except the back) is fully enclosed with hardware cloth type wire. I've heard of raccoons actually grabbing a chicken's leg and pulling it out through the wire and chewing it off. I hope we've used good enough wire that this will never be a concern for our birds!

No comments: