I've been considering the purchase of a vacuum food storage system since early last summer. It isn't exactly a NEED, but I feel it's a very good investment in the stability of our food supply. (No more freezer burnt food!) My darling husband has known about this, but I don't think he realized how seriously I wanted it. Since we were about to butcher a year's worth (if not more than that) of chicken, I didn't want all that effort to go to waste. I suggested that the moment may have come to make this purchase, and why. He said, "Get it!" And so I did.

I am not one for having a lot of appliances. In fact, I try to have as few as I possibly can. However, I think this one will be worth the cabinet space.
Before we actually got to the butchering, we had to build our killing cone. I purchased $13 worth of flashing and had enough material to make three cones. (We decided to only make one, and save the rest in case we find other needs for it later.) Here is the killing cone, work table with knives, and coolers filled with ice water ready to accept that wonderful, wholesome, free range meat:

We followed kosher butchering practices to the best of our knowledge, which made the process much less stressful than it could have been, for both the birds and us. One thing we did that was unorthodox to everyone we know is that we skinned the birds instead of plucking them. We didn't have access to an automatic plucker, and dipping the birds in boiling water and then taking all that time to pluck feathers in a wet, stinking mess did not even remotely appeal to us, so we opted to skin them. This turned out even better than I had hoped. It was a little tricky in a few areas, but overall, I think it was a good decision. Here is what our birds look like all done:

When Wayne saw me taking pictures, he had to show off his injury sustained during a skinning accident:
5 comments:
MrLivingOurWay butchered chickens this weekend too. Can you describe the kosher practices? He also does skin our chickens. Anything to make it easier. I want to help but after watching one time, I'm not so sure I'm going to be able too...
Hi,
I found your blog from a link at Living Our Way. Just wanted to say that I usually skin our chickens too. The skin does hold a lot of flavor, but plucking really slows down processing for me. Just wanted you to know you're not the only one!
Excellent cone too - I would love to hear more about how you made it if you have the time.
Thanks,
-Laura at TenThingsFarm
LivingOurWay,
I will try to get up a post about kosher butchering here pretty quick. In the meantime, I will give you the short answer: you put the chicken in the cone, which restrains them from flapping and keeps them feeling calm and secure. You use the sharpest knife you can find and cut the jugular on one side, holding the head over a bit to allow the blood to flow freely. Supposedly the chickens lose blood pressure to their brains and go unconscious almost immediately, but their heart keeps beating and so nearly all the blood is pumped out of the body. My chickens did not appear to go to sleep immediately, but they did stay very calm. Just kindof blinked until they went out. I do believe it was the least painful method possible. I think not severing the spine is a big key.
Laura,
Nice to meet you! I'm glad to know I'm in good company. I have an aunt who only skins her birds. She won't hear of plucking because of what a mess it is. That's where I got the idea.
Thanks for the compliments on the cone. I'll try to get up a tutorial on how we made it this coming weekend. :-)
Wow! Good for you! I'm sure you will be happy with them skinned. How wonderful to have your own source of free-range/organic chicken meat. :)
Hopped over from "Books and Bairns" blog...lovely to "meet" you!
Blessings,
Camille
Post a Comment