Thursday, May 5, 2011

Garden 2011

All tilled up and ready to be planted:
The chicken coop/former outhouse is in the background. We let them free range as much as possible, and are planning to fence the garden soon.

I was able to find enough stakes to lay out several rows at a time, which made the process MUCH easier! I planted 1/3 of the garden on April 30th, 1/3 of it last night, and will plant the last 1/3 of it in two weeks, when the soil is nice and warm for those tomatoes and peppers. :-D

The following veggies are planted:
Swiss Chard (Five Color Silverbeet)
Pole Beans (Green)
Cucumbers
Red Kuri Squash
Carrots
Red Pontiac Potatoes
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Silver Queen Corn
Yellow Straightneck Squash
Zucchini
Small Sugar Pumpkin
Dill
Cilantro
Yellow Granex Onion
Red Globe Onion

We still plan to plant peppers, tomatoes, beets, garden huckleberry, gourds, kale, and watermelon. We also have plans to put in a perennial garden in a seperate space for things like asparagus, horseradish, walking onions, garlic, and many more that I will come to learn about over time.

4 comments:

Leigh said...

Sounds like your garden is really coming along nicely. It's such a good feeling, isn't it, to have so much planted.

Michelle said...

Well, nothing has sprouted yet, but at least the seeds are planted. The weather is so cool and rainy, I pray they don't rot in the ground now! But yes, it's a great feeling to have it planted!!! :-)

Unknown said...

Very impressive!!!

Michelle said...

Yay! Jamie, I'm so happy you came to visit! The garden is showing signs of life, sprouts everywhere, but not as many as I would like. I have to replant the corn, because it's so scattered, and my potatoes aren't up very good, either. :-/