Thursday, March 1, 2012

In Like a Lion?


This is what I woke up to on Wednesday morning, February 29th. Tornadoes and straight line winds ripped through SW Missouri last night. Notice the goat shed we built in the fall? It's upside down and blown into the fence. No goats were harmed. It was still in the garden spot, but they were moved back to their lean-to at the barn with it's adjoining bit of pasture a couple months ago.

I'm very sad about this one. I absolutely loved that we had a working cistern with a pump on our back patio. The way the handle is broken, I don't know if it is repairable or not. (Not to mention the repurposed gym light glass/mini greenhouse being broken. THAT will be fun to remove from my whiskey barrel planter, won't it!)

This is the north side of that massive limb that is taking up most of the back yard. We had no idea there was a bad spot in this tree. The limb grew out sideways and was perfect for Wayne to hang deer on for skinning. The damage to the tree is so bad that the whole tree will have to be taken out.
Here is a long shot so you can see the whole back yard.

This tree sits immediately west of the house. It has made me nervous since we bought the place. I am SOOO thankful that it didn't come down on the house! See that huge limb that is caught in the tree? We will definitely be removing that limb and as much else as we can reach. I REALLY want the whole tree out, but it's going to take a skilled woodsman to get it down without hitting the house, other trees, or the electric lines.

I'm sad for the woodpeckers who called this tree home. I've wondered what made our place special enough to host them, never dreaming it was the very tree that gave me so much worry each time it stormed.

Here is the west side of the tree with the huge limb trapped. That will be fun to get out, huh? We have big plans for cleanup this weekend!

I received an e-mail asking about how the handle to the pump got broken. Maybe you couldn't see in the first picture, but a large limb from a cedar tree fell on it and then blew over. I think it's more visible from this angle.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

That looks terrible but apparently you missed a lot too!

Michelle said...

Yes, we are extremely thankful it wasn't worse!

Tara said...

So glad all the goats and the house are ok!

Michelle said...

Thank you, Tara. We finally figured out where the cedar limb came from. It was ripped from the tree I park beside. That limb flew over/across my entire vehicle and didn't put a single scratch on it! I'm SO thankful!!!

Leigh said...

Oh my goodness Michelle. Not good but at least the important things were safe. Shame about the pump! Will you replace it?

Michelle said...

Leigh, I intend to try to find a replacement handle for the pump. If I can't, then we probably won't do any replacement, but just take it out. :-(

Faye Henry said...

Hi dear.. I think I will take my ice and snow storms any day.. I would have been scared... We have a huge elm tree at the cottage that bothers me in a storm so I know how you feel.. So glad you are all ok, though..
God bless..

Michelle said...

Mrs. Faye, Thankfully, I was oblivious to what was happening. I just thought we were having high winds and under a tornado warning. I take the TW's seriously and was in the closet, but mainly I was thinking I wished it would expire so I could go back to bed. :-)