Thursday, March 15, 2012

New Life, Hope, and Moving On

After the horrible storms of February 29th, I was blessed to discover a sign of new hope:


On an emotional level (as opposed to a rational one) Cochins are my all time favorite breed of chicken. They are so calm and friendly. Even as chicks I can tell a difference between them and other breeds I've raised. I think they are adorable with their fluffy butts and feathered feet. They remind me of antebellum girls at a ball.


The primary reason I have only ever had one or two at a time is because you typically have to buy them straight run. I do not wish to have half a flock of roosters, thankyouverymuch! I have never, ever seen Cochins for sale sexed.


However, on Friday, March 2nd I was at the feed store, which just happened to have silver laced Cochin pullets. Of course, I couldn't resist! I am thrilled to report that they are all alive and well. They are beginning to feather out, so I thought I needed to post some pictures before they enter their gawky adolescent stage.


I have to clean out and refill their water dispenser twice a day because they kick the paper shreds into the trough until it is completely full!
I love it, though! Raising chicks is one of the most fun parts of homesteading.

2 comments:

* Crystal * said...

Oh I LOVE Cochins!!! I have 3 Blue/Silver hens & they are as sweet as they are pretty :) Dunno how, but when I bought them last year at the feed store, there was a pullet Cochin cage... But all Cochins were the same price. All my pullets turned out to be hens, so I guess I got lucky :)

I love chicks, but don't NEED more chickens, so I'm trying very, very hard to stay away from the Chick Days sales... lol

Leigh said...

That was a great find. I've never had Cochins. Yet. :)