Wednesday, June 6, 2012

La Mancha Babies!

We've been waiting for two years for this moment! Miracle was given to me as a five month old doeling. I just loved her to pieces. When it was time for her to be bred we took her to visit her chosen boyfriend and then brought her back home. Miracle had a precocious udder, so it was very hard to tell what was going on, but we thought she was pregnant. She gained a lot of weight and her udder continued to develop. Spring came and no babies appeared. We finally gave up hope of her being pregnant. In the fall I took her to be bred three times. (She kept coming back in heat.) The third time I informed the breeder that she was staying a month, and I would pay room and board. The breeder insisted that I didn't need to do that, and that Miracle was welcome to stay for the month. At the end of the month we brought her home and waited. The breeder had thought she "settled" after the first time she was bred. He due date came and went. Nearly three weeks passed. Nothing. We were giving up hope of her being bred despite her weight gain and hugely swollen udder, and chalking it up to the precocious udder and a false pregnancy. I'd made up my mind to start milking her on June 10th (one month after her supposed due date) if she hadn't kidded yet. On Monday morning, June 4th, when I did chores I noticed her staring meditatively at the back corner, and her "vent" was turned out just a teensy bit, but I've seen more obvious signs of "pending labor" over the past several weeks with nothing to show for it, and shrugged it off. Frankly, I had just about given up. I went about my day as normal. Late in the afternoon I went out to the barn and discovered this:
I just love his little ears. They look like rosettes!

It was so exciting to see that she had a baby! Hooray! I was so worried that she had infertility issues, which is not a good quality in a milk goat! I confess I was disappointed, though, because I thought she had a single kid. Even though I was giving up hope of her pregnancy, I still expected her to have twins if she was indeed pregnant. I looked around and found this beautiful thing snuggled in between the gate and the wall:

Isn't she beautiful? She's so dainty and energetic, too. Her brother, on the other hand, is Mr. Sleepypants. :-)

Here they are getting acquainted and checking things out. Poor Miracle. Her udder and teats are SO tight!
Having a little midmorning snack. Sister thinks that's not such a bad idea!

*sigh* We are all content here at the homestead. These are the last of this year's babies. Everyone is healthy and well. Milk is flowing. We are thankful, indeed!



8 comments:

Leigh said...

Michelle, congratulations! Wonderful news! I'm so glad you got the twins you were hoping for and all went well. My Nubian had a false pregnancy this year. My odd tip off was when here swelling udder began to shrink again. Due dates came and went. *sigh* There's always next year. Enjoy your babies. :)

Michelle said...

Leigh, Thanks! We are enjoying the new babies very much. I'm telling ya, they're winning me over. They are so much more laid back than the Nigies. I actually thought something was terribly wrong because they were so "lethargic." Nigie babies are born spring loaded!

I'm so sorry about all you've gone through with your goats. I've been following along. *shaking head* I don't even have words.. Can I give you a cyber hug?

When you comment on my blog do you have to jump through any hoops? I know I moderate my comments (have only ever had to decline one), but I can't find any sort of settings to see about the word verification or whatever.

Tara said...

How adorable! I wouldn't have guessed it could be so difficult to breed goats. I'm sure these new twins will provide lots of entertainment!

Michelle said...

Thanks, Tara! It's actually highly unusual to have trouble breeding them. They are normally like the stereotypical bunny. :-)The twins are just precious. They are so quiet tempered, but when they do cry it sounds JUST like a human baby. So pitiful! I can see how they could get spoild really easily! LOL!

Kateri said...

Very adorable! Interesting about the trouble she had getting pregnant (or did she get pregnant then quietly had a miscarriage?) The two little ones look as if they were worth the wait!

(My chicks are California whites...a breed that is pretty good at flying at least as far as chickens go!).

Michelle said...

Kateri,
I actually had the miscarriage thought for a fleeting moment, but wouldn't there be lochia afterward?

I've heard of California Whites, but have no experience with them. Never knew anyone who had them. I've only seen them in the catalogs. You'll have to do updates on them in your blog from time to time. :-)

* Crystal * said...

Oh my goodness!!!!

I'm in love!! Congrats on your new babies, and you got a DOELING!!!

Those Lamanchas are winning me over too..... I bought 2 new LM does this summer, and am seriously considering cutting back on my Alpines for a lil while so I can keep more LM's

As to the breeding woes, she may have reabsorbed, or just not settled.... Ya never know, but it doesn't matter now because you have all that cuteness to make up for the wait! :)

Michelle said...

Thank you, Crystal! The little doeling, Baby, has completely stolen my heart. She is the sweetest goat I've ever had by far.