Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Home Grown Chicks

My little cochin hen has hatched a fine bunch of chicks! Believe it or not, there are six babies under her! Here she is with the babies, already teaching them to eat bugs and seeds, and they are only one day old!

These chicks are not biologically hers. She was so determined to set, and I had not been saving eggs for her to set, that I got some from the local farmer's market.(She quit laying because she wasn't eating enough or getting exercise.) Their father is a brown leghorn rooster. I can't remember for sure what the mothers were. I think they were buff orpington, production red, and maybe barred Plymouth rock. It will be interesting to watch them grow and see what they end up looking like.

One of our goals is to get to the place where we can raise chicks with real mommas and never have to utilize a hatchery unless we want to try a new breed.

2 comments:

mary grace said...

You are living our dream, and I'm SO jealous! O.k., not jealous, really. But excited! :-) I am so glad to find your blog! Our house is currently on the market and we're eyeing a piece of property that we hope to turn into our own little slice of homestead heaven. Thanks for the inspiration and keep writing so I can borrow your ideas down the road!

Michelle said...

I feel so honored to have you comment on my blog!!! I wanted to write you yesterday but ran out of time. I find your blog to be spiritually nourishing. You preach me an awesome sermon each time I visit. I teach at a tiny Christian school, but my heart's desire is to be a full time SAHhomeschoolingM. I believe this is God's will, and we are working hard to attain it. Thanks, and keep on writing!

I'm so glad you find my blog inspiring! I'm afraid the updating will be sparse through the summer, though. We don't have internet access at home, and so my opportunities to get online will be totally random. I will try to take plenty of pictures and post them at least once a month, though, because I don't want to loose all that fun stuff that happens during the summer.(I see my blog as a combination journal and digital scrapbook.)

Thanks for stopping by!