Okay Y'all, I need some help. Butter making baffles me! Sometimes it whips up in no time flat, and sometimes it takes HOURS! Literally! I've heard that you need it chilled as much as possible, and I've heard the it needs to be room temperature. I've heard that it needs to be aged, I've heard that it needs to be fresh. Argh! What's the trick?! My blender is on it's last leg, and I'd really like to make it in the food processor. PLEASE help me! What are your tricks and tips for making butter. (don't assume I already know ANYTHING!)
5 comments:
I wish I could help you out, but I wouldn't know the first thing about butter making. =(
Thanks for visiting my new blog. I have you down for 3 entries for the giveaway!!!!
Did you read my post about when I was trying to make butter and ended up with whipped cream? I was so confused. I finally did get it to turn after letting it sit at room temp a while, but then it had a weird flavor... kinda like cheese! I used to put the cream into a mason jar, and shake it for about 20 min. until butter formed. But somebody told me about using a food processor, and I've been doing it that way ever since. You can make it from cold cream, it just takes longer sometimes. Make sure you don't have a lot of milk mixed in with the cream. I've found that if I let the cream sit out of the fridge for a little while, just to get the chill off, it goes much quicker. I just pour it into the food processor and blend away. It works in minutes! The cream turns to whipped cream, and then to butter. Then you have to pour off the buttermilk, and squeeze the butter (which can be hard to do when it's soft!) to get the rest of the buttermilk out or it will go rancid. Believe me, I've tasted rancid butter when I didn't get all of the buttermilk out... extremely disgusting! Then refrigerate. Anyways, that's how I do it. Hope that helps :)
Kendra!
I'm so excited you posted a comment. I love your blog!!!
I just finished the post about making butter at Adelia's house in canning jars. Thank you so much for the tips about room temp, no milk included, and that the food processor works. I can't wait to get home and make some! :-)
Hope it turns out well ;) My next milk project is to make mozzarella. If only I could get my hands on enough cream to make it worth the effort!
Mozzerella is super easy. I KWYM about finding enough cream. The Mozzerella I made didnt have much cream in it, though, and the cream didn't seem to stay in the cheese very well, so I'm betting that you don't need cream, unless you have some secret way to keep it in the cheese. ;-)
Post a Comment