Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why Herbs?

A friend recently asked why we have lost the way of using herbs that our ancestors did, and have "progressed" to drugs instead. Here is my answer to her:

The reason is that herbs cannot be patented, and so drug companies can't make gazillions of dollars off them like they can chemicals. Often they will isolate the most (obviously)active component of an herb and learn how to make it synthetically, and then market that synthetic version as a drug. God made things to have many components that work together for our good. The intricate relationship of the different parts of the herb are beyond our comprehension. Taking a synthetic replacement for the real thing (herb) is like eating stripped down white flour versus whole grain flour. It's just not as good for you, and will have harmful effects over the long haul as well.

So... *climbing down off my soapbox* I say, if it worked for them, it's good for us!

2 comments:

LivingOurWay said...

This is something that's been on my mind a lot lately. The medical world has really let me down. They either tell me that I am fine or prescribe things that don't work. If I research and try herbs or other natural remedies, they almost always work!

Michelle said...

Precisely! Keep on researching so you will have at least a general idea of what is good for what when the need arises.

About five weeks ago I became very ill for about a week. I was so sick that I broke my five year streak of never going to a doctor! I lost 13 pounds in about five days. The doctor diagnosed the flu based on the symptoms, but didn't test for it because he felt the expense was unnecessary. I now believe it was swine flu. I've had a nagging, wheezing caugh ever since, though it is getting better.

I share this story because at the time I was so sick I couldn't do more than think fleetingly that I needed to be taking some herbs. There was no way I had the strength to crawl out of bed, drag out the books, and see what I should be taking. I now have a goal of compiling a simple notebook that my husband can refer to if I'm too sick to tell him what I need. :-)