I'm really struggling over the goat vs. cow thing. I definitely don't REGRET buying goats, but I chose them because I thought it was more cost effective for our small homestead. I was looking at the actual cost of the goats themselves. Now that I've been doing this for a year, I am seeing a LOT of hidden costs. Fencing that will hold goats is at least 3X higher than fencing for cattle. They are much more difficult to contain. Then, to get the cream from the goat's milk I need a cream separator for at least $200, maybe more. Goats have higher nutritionalThursday, April 14, 2011
A Quandry
I'm really struggling over the goat vs. cow thing. I definitely don't REGRET buying goats, but I chose them because I thought it was more cost effective for our small homestead. I was looking at the actual cost of the goats themselves. Now that I've been doing this for a year, I am seeing a LOT of hidden costs. Fencing that will hold goats is at least 3X higher than fencing for cattle. They are much more difficult to contain. Then, to get the cream from the goat's milk I need a cream separator for at least $200, maybe more. Goats have higher nutritional
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
well, goat milk is easier to digest and so more healthful...I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I keep goats for the same reasons as you. I love those naughty girls!
You know, the health benefits of goat milk over cow's milk have been floating around the edge of my consciousness. Thank you for pointing that out. I have significant allergies, and I believe that the plants the goats eat affect their milk and then us in much the same way local honey does.
Very interesting post. We didn't feel we have enough grazing for a cow, so goats were the best option for us, along with needing brush control. I did find a blog post at A Tiny Homestead, about how to extract cream from goats milk without a separator -
http://atinyhomestead.blogspot.com/2010/11/getting-cream-out-of-goats-milk-without.html
I haven't tried it myself, but plan to.
Post a Comment