You will need 12 oz. of bar soap, one box of Borax, and one box of washing soda as well as a container to put the finished soap in. I was a little bit short of washing soda, so I used some baking soda to make up the difference. Not perfect, but it worked just fine.
Grate all the soap up like shredded cheese. I love using my salad shooter for this.
Then add the washing soda
and the borax.
Mix thoroughly.
Scoop into your container of choice. I use half-gallon canning jars.
Use 1/8 to 1/4 cup per load of laundry depending on load size. You can use up to 1/2 cup on very large, very dirty loads.I would like to say a special thank you to my helper and nephew, Jesse. He spent a week with us this summer when school got out. He is a joy to have in our home!
12 comments:
Michelle, what kind of soap do you use?
I use homemade soap.
what an excellent post! very educational! Thanks for following my blog!! Check out Give Back Thursdays, a meme....I would love to see how You Gave Back :0)
Thanks, Georgia!
I just made some detergent! I am thinking the dry kind might be a little easier than the liquid I just made! . . . I dunno we'll see! Thanks for sharing! Hope you are doing well! Much love, Megan
Megan, you're most welcome! For the past 13 years (ever since I moved to this area) I've used liquid detergent because the water is so hard that powdered detergent wouldn't dissolve. When I made the switch to homemade laundry soap I assumed I would still require the liquid kind. Then one day last fall I needed to make a new batch of laundry soap, and I didn't have time to make the liquid. I figured that if the powdered didn't dissolve I could always liquify it later, but I was thrilled to discover that it worked just fine! I do still have to run a small bottle of detergent through every once in while, maybe quarterly, to strip the residue off the clothes and my machine.
Thanks for stopping by Mr. Magnificent & Company. I am glad you enjoy my blog. :) Looking forward to checking yours out.
Thanks, Melissa! As you can see by the dates, I'm not a very consistent poster, but I only post things I feel are of value. :-) I have more I want to post, but I have very limited internet access which makes it difficult. My blog is a combination digital scrapbook and journal to me. I didn't get into blogging with expectations of making friends or any of the benefits I've since discovered in this realm. I initially thought it would be a way for friends and family to keep up with what's going on in my little corner of the world. It's been a delightful surprise!
Greate post! We are about to run out of our HUGE container of laundry detergent that lasted 5 years. I think I might try this.
Livingourway,
Thanks! Five years?!?! How many in your family? Tell me more!!! LOL!
Jordan and I use this recipe too, we're actually going to try liquid laundry soap soon!
Gwen,
The liquid is a huge pain in the tushy. If your water will dissolve the dry soap, I wouln't bother. That's just my opinion, though, you do whatever your heart desires! :-D
Post a Comment