Friday, May 6, 2011

New Additions

This week I was given a bantam hen and her lone chick. The hen has the beginnings of feathers on her feet, and her chick has significantly more feathers than she does. Cochins are my all time favorite, and I'm hoping they might have a little in them. Here they are on their first non-rainy day at my house:

Momma's not real sure about getting out of the cage. Baby's saying, "You can do it, Mom!" (I heard it with my own ears! *wink*)



Oh yeah! The grass feels good under foot and the bugs are mighty tasty.

The goats were out, too, and very curious about the new arrivals, especially that cute little puff ball. Momma hen was not impressed with the goats. The goats didn't know that squawking and spreading one's wings means, "Go away!" They do now. That tiny hen whipped every goat on the place!!! It all happened so quickly I couldn't get my camera out and focused in time to capture the hilarity.


Okay, time to get back where it's safe before the sun goes down!

4 comments:

Leigh said...

That is so funny. Sounds like little Ms. Bantam is going to rule more than the roost.

Michelle said...

Ha! That's an understatement. It cracks me up. She probably only weighs one pound, or maybe a pound-and-a-half, and she intimidates my husband! He says she growls, and that he's never known a chicken that growled! ROTFLOL! She really doesn't peck that hard, as long as there is a sleeve between you and her beak it's no big deal, and I think that fact that I ignore her protests helps. It kindof steals her thunder, ya know?

* Crystal * said...

LOL too cute!! What's that saying....something along the lines of "Dynamite comes in small packages"?

I think it's quite fitting for your new feathered addition!

Michelle said...

Crystal, You're absolutely right! I have yet to name her, but that sounds like the perfect name. She's already gone broody again and is setting another nest, so we'll see how that works out in the next coyple of weeks. :D