Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Storm Cleanup

Remember the storms of leap day? We've been cleaning up from that mess ever since. It's gotten much, much worse before it can get better. This elm tree had a branch of about 10" diameter that hung over our roof, rubbing it and posing danger should there be an ice storm that caused it to break free of the tree. I wanted to just cut off that limb, but if we cut it off the limb beside it would also die because of they way they were joined, and if they both died the entire tree would no longer be viable, and at best we might nurse it along for another ten years or so. For these reasons we decided to go ahead and take the entire tree out. We were not happy to do so at all, but felt there was no use in putting off the inevitable. In the end we are very glad we did. When Wayne cut it, he hit a very large bolt. It is at least six inches long. Apparently the tree split early in it's life, and rather than take it out, it's owners decided to bolt it together. The wood of that interior portion was rotten. Many of the limbs were also rotting from the inside out. Here is is before we cut it. I nearly cried when I counted it's rings. This tree was about 120 years old!


Next to be addressed was the ominous tree to the west of our house. You remember the one with the very large rotten place at it's base? It is now on the ground, much to my relief!



The dark core you see is completely rotten. That tree was a crushed house waiting to happen!


What's worse, the bug damage you see is on the west side of the tree, making it that much more of a threat to our home. I didn't count the rings on this one. I'm not one bit sad it's gone. Well, maybe just a teensy bit. It did shade the west side of the house.


Here you can see how close it was to the house as well as gain proportion to how big it was.



Finally, the ash tree that split during the leap day storm. It was a lovely tree. I'm still astounded that it had to go. I never dreamed we would be without it.


Our place seems quite bare now, though there is still a LOT of cleanup work to be done. We are plugging away at it each afternoon. It will be so nice to have all the wood stacked and ready for winter, and the brush cleaned up!

7 comments:

Leigh said...

I agree about the firewood! A little scary about the inside of the tree. We have two huge ancient oaks near the house and I know they're like that inside. Dan says we need to start cutting them down, topping first and gradually working our way down before they die. I'll miss the shade but they are old, and they are dying.

Michelle said...

We made the decision this winter that a wood heat stove that can double for cooking is now a major priority for us. The money we will save with having one will allow us more funds to divert to other homestead projects instead of feeding the oil interests. :-)

That's so sad about your oaks, but I understand. I hope you are able to cut them in your own timing instead of a catastrophe causing them to come down at an inopportune moment.

Domestic Goddess said...

We had issues with a tree too and have another that really needs to go. We were building a deck off the back porch that would be shaded by a beautiful Honey locust tree. As we were building the deck we noticed wasps fly into a crack in the tree. We had a tree doctor come look at it and the entire inner core was rotted. I was so sad and now we have to put a roof on the deck because it gets way too hot out there. The other tree, another locust, is also rotted and closer to the road so it too must come down. I want to go to the nursery and find some replacement trees. But We had some friends who were very greatful for the four loads of firewood the tree provided for them...Wish we had a wood/cook stove too.

Camille said...

How frightening! What a blessing that it didn't hit your home! Yes, indeed firewood is a good thing...sorry that it had to come to you in this dramatic way.

Thank you for your kind words on my blog recently...it's lovely to *meet* you!

Blessings,
Camille

Michelle said...

DG, That must have been so frustrating! I've read that trees grown in the same setting their entire life are much healthier and stronger than those saved while their neighbors were cleared for a house site. As old as ours are that is probably what happened with them.

Camille! I'm so glad to see you! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I'm still pondering God's wonderful hand of protection on us. :-)

Leigh said...

Michelle, you need to update your blog! Love the new header photo though. :)

Michelle said...

Leigh, homesteading and work responsibilities come before the blog. Not having a home computer makes blogging much more difficult. Add to that the fact that I have had to absorb the kindergarten class into my own at school, and I hope you can see why blogging has not been at the top of the list lately. Hopefully I will get to make trips to the library this summer and do weekly updates. :-) -and thanks! That is Blathnaid (Blah-nid)(Gaelic for blossom), Perle's daughter this year. Perle is actually Perle d'Or, the rose.