Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Oh, Wow!!!

I've recently discovered my new favorite confection. It's everything fudge ought to be, but isn't. What's even better is it's incredibly easy! I had been experimenting with homemade "Larabars" when I stumbled into this one. It's my own conglomeration of what I learned from several other recipes I found online, and it's DIVINE!
Put one cup of raw walnuts (from the baking section or fresh) in the food processor and chop until it's about the texture of coarse corn meal. Then add one cup of pitted dates and blend together until it starts to form a ball. Next add 1/2 cup of raisins and two tablespoons of cocoa powder. Blend again until it's all well incorporated. The walnuts will release a good bit of oil. There will be oil in the bottom of the food processor, or at least there is in mine. I unplug the food processor, pull out the blade (I'm a bit paranoid!) and roll the concoction into balls. Store in the fridge. That's it! Only four ingredients: walnuts, pitted dates, raisins, and cocoa powder. They are SO delicious, and can be enjoyed completely guilt free! WooHoo!!! If you aren't already familiar with these, you simply MUST give them a try!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Ok...I'll have to try this the next time we need a sweet!

Leigh said...

They look like miniature cannon balls, LOL. Think I could make them with pecans? We have more of those than walnuts. Sounds like the perfect treat!

Michelle said...

Jessica,
Yes, definitely do. They are excellent!

Leigh,
Pecans would be wonderful! I like them better than walnuts! You can make all sorts of combinations. It's most important to keep the ratios of nuts to dates and the 1/2 cup mix-ins right, I think. For PB&J you can use peanuts, dates, and half a cup of dried cherries or raisins, etc.

Kateri said...

Definitely going to try this! Sounds delicious and healthy to boot!

Michelle said...

It is amazing! Tip: Run the food processor with just the nuts long enough for them to release their oils. The batch I posted about I did that and they were divine. My most recent batch I used pecans and ground them to a nut flour consistency. They weren't as good. I don't know if it was because I didn't process them as long or if it's because I used pecans. Next time I will process until the oils release, for sure.