Friday, November 30, 2012

Desolate

That's how things feel around our homestead. After much deliberation, we decided to downsize our livestock.

First it was chickens. A couple weeks ago I sold some hens to Megan at A Blossoming Homestead. I had thought I would sell even more of our chickens than I did, but just by selling a dozen hens (all less than one year old) our flock seems small now!

I am also looking for a home for our ducks. I was SO tickled to get my hands on the five Khaki Campbell ducklings in June. We raised them with excitement and have been entertained daily by their ducky antics. However, it appears I am allergic to duck eggs. Each time I eat them I get violently ill. After doing some research I am pretty sure that it's an allergy, and I am fearful that trying them again would invoke anaphylactic shock. Our ducks lay white eggs, and they are very hard to discern from the chicken eggs, and so we have agreed that the safest plan is to sell them, too.

Finally, a week ago today I sold my Nigerian Dwarfs all in one fell swoop. I couldn't believe it happened that way. I've listed things on Craig's List several times with mixed success. I expected to sell one here and one there until we were down to a few goats. Instead, a lovely lady came to see them, fell in love with the whole herd, and came back two days later to buy them all! Now I just have my LaMancha doe, Miracle, and her daughter, Baby, who was born in June. Things are feeling rather empty around the place. I'm not emotionally sad like I expected it to be. I thought it would be really hard to sell my very first dairy goat that I worked so long to get, her daughter, their companion, and my favorite, no nonsense milker. Instead my main emotion is relief. They no longer have to endure the constant fighting that goes along with having a herd of mixed sizes of goats. I am able to keep up with deworming, hoof trimming, and other maintenance needs with ease. It is peaceful now. It doesn't hurt that our feed bill just dropped by at least half!

All in all I think things are better. We still have enough chickens and goats to supply our needs for eggs and milk, and their care is much more manageable.

11 comments:

Tara said...

It's all about finding that manageable place where the work can be a joy and not a burden (or at least not a burden all of the time!) I hope this new arrangement works out well for you!

Tara said...

It's all about finding that manageable place where the work is a joy and not a burden (or at least a joy most of the time!) I hope this new arrangement works out well for you.

Michelle said...

Thank you, Tara. I hope so, too. :-) Homesteading isn't all sunshine and roses, but I feel it should at least not be overwhelming on a daily basis. :-)

You Can Call Me Jane said...

We're likely cutting back to one garden this summer. Sometimes you just have to cut back to make life more manageable and enjoyable. Good for you for doing what needed to be done:-).

Michelle said...

Jane, I agree that the importance of recognizing when there is too much is crucial to one's sanity as well as creating a good life for the family as a whole, where Momma and Daddy aren't so stressed they can't focus on the things that are truly important.

Leigh said...

Bummer about the duck eggs. And how odd to be allergic to them but not chicken eggs. I'm not sure if we'll ever get ducks. I'd love to have them but Dan isn't all that keen on them. Maybe if we ever put in that pond!

I know what you mean about having the animal load manageable. It is a relief. We've not had a surplus of eggs or milk by any means, but I'm happy with what we get.

Michelle said...

Yeah, it is a bummer. The second time I had a reaction I laid awake all night with the vomiting, etc. Between bathroom runs I researched it. Turns out it's quite common to be allergic to one type of egg and not another. At least it gives the allergy sufferers an alternative. :-)

I agree about being happy with what you get. Miracle has STILL not weaned Baby, and I don't have a kid pen, so we get Baby's left-overs, which isn't much at all, but we haven't lacked for milk when we've needed it so far.

* Crystal * said...

Awww, sorry to hear about the duck egg allergy.

Happy you were able to sell everything so well.... It's kinda bittersweet to see them go, but the lighter workload & heavier wallet sure help!

I'm moving and am down to 7 goats, no bucks left. It's so weird having 7, but I couldn't afford to move with all that I had.... There will also be a drastic shift in my herd this spring and I'm not sure if I'm anticipating it or not... Still on the fence.

Sorry for the desolate feeling, but go hang out in your less crowded, less dramatic goat pen with your munchies and I bet you'll feel better :)

Michelle said...

Thanks Crystal,
It is a great comfort to know that they went to a home where they are loved just as much as I loved them, and the missing them is slightly alleviated by the reduced feed bill, for sure. :-) I've been hanging out with the LaMancha girls a little extra to try to enhance bonding. They really are more laid back than the Nigies, which translates in another way to not caring if you are there or not. Don't get me wrong, they are friendly, but it's not nearly as in-your-face as the Nigies were.

Leigh said...

Just came by to wish you a very happy new year. :)

Michelle said...

Why, thank you, Leigh! I hope you and yours have a very happy new year, as well! :-)