Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dairy Goat Breed Selection

My first goat herd.
I was recently asked about my choice of breed in dairy animals, and my response was rather lengthy. I decided it would make a great blog post!

I think the answer to your question lies more in why I started with Nigies. I always wanted Nubians. They have a reputation for being vocal, pushy, and high strung, though. It took me several years to talk my husband into letting me have dairy goats at all. He grew up with a milk cow, and didn't want the twice daily responsibilities that come with a milk animal. He told me on the front end that he wanted no part of it whatsoever. If I got one it was all on me to take care of it and milk it. Then he gave me his blessing. I researched everything I could get my hands on regarding dairy goats. I knew I needed to choose a breed that I could have a 100% guarantee of success with, and Nigerian Dwarfs seemed to be that perfect breed of goat for my beginner self. Nigies are small enough that you can do anything that you need to with them. It's not like wrestling with an animal that weighs just as much as an adult human. I followed through with that and kept Nigies for about three years. I enjoyed them immensely, but desired larger goats that produced more milk for the same amount of effort in milking and hoof trimmings. (Trimming hooves is my least favorite job in goat husbandry. :-) ) I was given a LaMancha doeling in exchange for her first doe kid very early on. I fell in love with her and the no-nonsense personality that seems to be the norm in LaManchas. Since I already had a LaMancha and I didn't want to run a mixed herd, I stayed with LaManchas when I was ready to transition out of my starter goats and into my permanent herd. I do still dream of Nubians, but I have reservations about how I will like their personalities after everything I've heard. I am definitely not in to having a herd of drama queens! :-)

I cannot say what breed will fit your personality and needs best. My goat mentor, Michele, has kept several different breeds and settled on Nigerian Dwarfs as her favorite. Everyone's personal choice will be unique.

10 comments:

* Crystal * said...

That's the wonderful thing about dairy goats! There is a breed to suit almost anyone :)

My lovely Alpines are great producers, so very sweet and their will to milk is wonderful. I grew up with the breed and really do enjoy them. Now, they have their downside... They have a reputation for being aggressive which I think is only partly true. My Alpines are racist... Never saw an ounce of the famed aggression until I had a mixed herd... Then my Alpines ganged up on everything not Alpine. Was a bit stressful in the beginning. They can also be aloof with strangers, though mine have always been sweet with us. Since adding other breeds, I see just how awful they do in our heat... Even shaved down for summer, my Alpines don't leave the barn after 10am, while my Lamanchas and Nubians will be chowing down on hay when it's 108 outside in full sunshine...

Had Nigerians.... Honestly never had more troublesome goats. Bullies to all the other goats and they always seemed to have a Napoleon complex... Yes, their small size makes them easy to handle in some ways, but I found their tiny size very hard on my back and hated that they were such escape artist.

Tried Mini Alpines... A ND x Alpine cross.... Hardy, super easy keepers like Nigerians. More milk than a Nigerian, smaller than an Alpine. Very efficient little animals. But, the kid sale market, even though I had 3rd generations and up, wasn't very good and I didn't like the shorter legs on the milk stand as it left no room for my big man hands while milking with my preferred bucket.

Tried Oberhaslis... Sweet goats, though not many out there and the quality of stock available to me was just not what I wanted an entire herd of.

Tried Nubians... HATED them! Nosey, annoying, dumb, needy, obnoxious animals. Had 4, none related and all had identical personalities. Barely survived a year and a half with them and was so happy to see them go. Added another one for my daughter's birthday last year... Dreaded the mess her birthday wish would have me dealing with, but I've been very surprised. Our current Nubian is so easy going, non demanding, quiet, mellow and quite smart. This goat impressed me enough that I selectively went out and added more to our Nubian group! Will select for temperament and if I continue on the way I'm going I think I will really enjoy these Nubians.

And last, but not least, Lamanchas. Swore I would NEVER, ever have those "weird looking goats".... Then I spotted my buck Tonka as a baby and was in love. These goats are so hardy and personable. They are easy going and get along well in a mixed herd... They tolerate the heat here in Texas VERY well and they can keep up with my Alpines in the milk production department, while still producing butterfat levels comparable to a Nubian. I ADORE these earless goats. Which is why they have become the focus of my herd :) My daughter has her Nubians, I have my Munchies and we have our token Alpine :)

Michelle said...

I couldn't agree more, Crystal! Back strain is a major reason I wanted to get away from the Nigies.

I am having an issue, though. My milk is tasting "goaty" for the first time ever. I cleanse the udders thoroughly, dip teats after every milking, strain and chill the milk ASAP. Do you have any ideas why it would be "goaty" tasting? I've had the two I'm milking for a couple months, and it's only turned funny in the past couple weeks. Our grass is starting to green up and grow. I have wondered if this was the issue. They are still getting free choice hay, of course.

Leigh said...

Very interesting post Michelle, and as usual, Crystal's comment was equally interesting. I have to say that my Nubians are racists! They always prefer one another to my poor lone Nigerian Dwarf. I can also say that my most annoying Nubian has mellowed out as she's gotten older. I am curious about our Nubian / Kiko cross. I haven't found Nubians to be easy keepers. It's hard to keep weight on them after kidding, but I'm hoping the Kiko genetics will help in that department.

Leigh said...

I forgot to mention! I read that sometimes cobalt or vitamin B deficiency can cause off tasting milk. Not sure if you give either, but it might be worth a try and I'd be interested to know the result.

Michelle said...

Thank you, Leigh. I find all goats to be racist. I've been around Alpines, Saanens, LaManchas, and Nigerian Dwarfs in mixed herd settings. They all prefered their own kind and picked on the goats of other breeds. That is why I am adamant about not running a mixed herd. If I make the switch, it will be jumping in with both feet. :-)

Thank you for mentioning cobalt deficiency as a possible cause. Miracle had issues with that last year. My ND's never had a problem with it. Right now the milk doesn't have the same "sharp" taste as Miracle's last year, but maybe this is just the beginning of it. I'm definitely going to get some more Diamond V yeast culture and see if it solves the problem!

Michelle said...

I am thrilled to report that after a week of being on the Diamond V Yeast Culture our milk is back to tasting like the lovely stuff it is! Thank you SO much for mentioning the cobalt deficiency!!! I assumed Miracle's deficiency was a result of being run down from the health problems she was experiencing last year, but apparently our property is deficient. I will be sure to include this supplement from now on!

Leigh said...

Michelle, that's great news! I've been told that goats don't need yeast because they can synthesize their own, but I'm finding a lot of articles about problems with B vitamin deficiencies. Do-It-Best Hardware sells cobalt block online for pretty cheap with free delivery to some stores. The link is here if you want to check it out.

Michelle said...

Leigh, you are SO AWESOME!!! I've been searching and searching for an affordable option for buying Cobalt. Thank you so very much!

mary grace said...

Filing this info away ... because my heart's secret desire has always been to own a dairy goat. :-)

Michelle said...

Mary Grace, I can't wait for the day when your wish is granted. They are a lot of work, but they are even more fun! I can't imagine any other dairy animal being as rewarding as goats. :-D