Monday, November 23, 2009

The Bachelor Pad


Necessity is the mother of invention, right? One of my favorite things on our property is this outhouse. I think it's the coolest thing ever! It's the nicest outhouse I've ever seen. The base of the seat is formed concrete, there is a coat hook and a dowel to hang the toilet paper roll on! There is a vent pipe as well as vents on the east and west sides of the outhouse that have latches so you can open them in warm weather and close them during the cold times. I was remiss to deface this wonderful, but almost useless, structure. However, need won over sentiment. This spring we purchased Buff Orpington cockerels from a local hatchery. We raised these chickens for meat. They needed a place to live! We didn't want to invest in building a chicken house large enough to host so many chickens because we don't intend to deal with mass quantities of chickens again. The logical conclusion was to (temporarily) renovate the outhouse into a chicken house. It's only a roost and shelter, but it meets the need. The boys are thrilled with it, as you can see:

2 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I love it! Your chickens look so cozy in there:-). Our chickens have to walk through our outhouse to get to their chicken run (the outhouse was built on the side of the hen house). Our chickens don't mind a bit and it doesn't look as if yours do either:-).

Michelle said...

Nope! Aren't chickens great? I think their memory is about the same as a goldfish, unless you're dealing with food, though! LOL!